What is marketing?
- Marketing is earning people’s attention, time, and trust
- Marketing is done with people. It’s multi-directional
- Marketing is relational
- Marketing is storytelling
- Marketing is dependent on community
How marketing scales: you build something worth talking about.
What is advertising?
- Advertising is paying for people’s attention by interrupting them
- Advertising is done to people. It’s one-directional
- Advertising is transactional
- Advertising is telling people to do something
- Advertising is dependent on algorithms and optimization
How advertising scales: you spend more money.
You can always opt-out of advertising. You can never opt-out of marketing.